So many things have happened in the past few days, pop-culture wise, so in case you missed any of it, here's one post to summarize things for you.
STAR WARS EPISODE VIII: THE LAST JEDI BEHIND-THE-SCENES
One of the most awaited movies of the year is of course the eighth movie in the Star Wars saga, this one ominously titled The Last Jedi. And at the recently concluded Disney D23 Expo, we didn't get a new trailer, but we did get a very special behind the scenes video. We get new footage, cast members singing and dancing, and if you don't tear up whenever the late Carrie Fisher shows up, then your heart has already turned to stone.
A WRINKLE IN TIME FIRST TEASER TRAILER
Probably almost all private school kids were made to read Madeline L'Engle's A Wrinkle In Time in school. If you didn't appreciate it then, I dare you to read it again now, especially before the movie comes out in March of next year. The trailer looks amazing with a mix of magic and sci-fi and good-looking people. And yes, I plan to re-read the entire series as well.
AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR TRAILER...OH WAIT..A DESCRIPTION OF THE TRAILER
Unfortunately for us who were not in the room where it happened (heh), we can only rely on the descriptions of those who were actually able to see it (no secret cameras here, darn it). The teaser sounds pretty jam-packed with characters and details, so reading about it and actually seeing it may be worlds away. But for now, we have to rely on frame by frame details like this.
Oh and we do get a first look at the big bad Thanos. Sort of.
THE THIRTEENTH DOCTOR IS A WOMAN!
After much clamoring from fans, the glass ceiling has sort of been broken on Doctor Who. When the Doctor regenerates into Thirteen in the December special, Jodie Whittaker will be playing her! Yes, we finally have a female Doctor. While most people are pretty excited about this, there has also been a backlash from some fans who can't accept the fact that there can be a doctor that is not a white male. But who cares, can't wait for December and then the next season! Don't screw this up guys!
DEATHS OF GEORGE ROMERO AND MARTIN LANDAU
The announcement of their deaths came just a few hours after each other, and film enthusiasts honored them by remembering their contributions to cinema and pop culture.
Walking Dead and zombie fans owe a lot to Romero because he brought the zombie genre to life (heh) in the Night of the Living Dead series of movies in the 60s and 70s. The ending of that first movie still haunts me to this day. I won't spoil it for you, just watch it if you can.
Landau had a lot of memorable roles, but I'll remember him most for his Bela Lugosi in Ed Wood (he won a Best Supporting Oscar for that), the guy chasing Cary Grant in the Mt. Rushmore scene in North by Northwest and as Jack Malone's (Anthony LaPaglia) dad in Without A Trace.
GAME OF THRONES SEASON 7 PREMIERE (not so spoilery)
It feels like forever since we last watched Game of Thrones and so after this long hiatus, everyone was pretty psyched. Initial thoughts here since some have probably not watched it yet (so no spoilers)
- That cold open was one of their best ever! I kinda knew what was going to happen from the first frame, but it was still oh so satisfying and goosebumps-inducing. The North remembers!
- The much-talked about cameo by a famous pop singer was pretty cool, especially since we did hear him sing of course. Now will he appear in more episodes, that is the question. And will fans riot if he gets killed off?
- The Hound gets the best lines in this episode, doesn't he?
- The arrival of a main character in a place that I will not name is oh so satisfying but oh so bitin. Can't wait to see that character interact with even more characters. Especially that other main character. HA!
- I really thought it would be more than one hour since we only have seven episodes this season. Oh well. Can't wait for next week!